Temporary Competition Rules
Version dated May 2020 - please note that competition rules have been amended to facilitate virtual meetings hosted on the Zoom platform. All submissions will be digital.
- The number of permitted entries shall be determined for each competition and must not be exceeded. Unless otherwise stated this is up to 4 digital images per competition.
- In order to address the volume of submissions to club competitions, we have implemented a ranking structure. Please indicate on each image whether it is your 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th choice entry on the filename. If the competition has a very high number of submitted entries, everybody's 4th choice images will be discarded. If this still results in too many images, everybody's 3rd choice image will be discarded, and so on. Should you fail to indicate a preferential order, the competition secretary will make the decision as to which images to remove.
- Digital images to be submitted as jpg format, dimensions of 2,048 x 1,536 pixels (1,024 x 768 pixels is also still acceptable) at 72 DPI (dots per inch) resolution and in the sRGB colour space. Any unused areas of the image canvas must be filled in with solid black or dark grey (as if masking a slide, right-click to download & save-as a correctly sized black mask here). Files must be titled: image title (choice ranking). e.g. Sunset (4th choice).jpg. Download a sample image here that demonstrates the masking of the extra image canvas with black.
- Entries must have been taken for the competition where possible, or have been taken within the last three years.
- Technical data to be provided if possible. Note that if images are digital, shooting information is generally recorded as tags within the files EXIF data.
- Closing Date for entries to the Competition Secretary will be announced by newsletter and within the WDCC Facebook Group.
- Winning images should be made available for the club to submit to other competitions where possible. eg. L&CPU Annual or Multi-club competitions.
- Images placed in positions 1 to 5 in any Competition cannot be reused in any future Competition. Commended images and non-placed images can be reused.
- Top 5 placing images will be displayed on the Club's website, and this is a condition of entry.
We will look to create our own video explaining how to create jpgs for submission to club competitions from various different pieces of software, but in the meantime the below video is a good starting point. Just remember to substitute 1024 for each instance of 1400, and 768 for each instance of 1050.